Saturday 31 December 2011

Aberdesach Chough

More grim weather today with low cloud and some heavy showers. I spent a while at Aberdesach late afternoon in the hope of a few Great Northern Divers as it's the best site in the area for them. Unfortunately it was throwing it down as I arrived and all I managed were a couple of very distant unidentified divers while using my binoculars from the car.

Despite giving the sea a good scoping there was little to get excited about  - a lobster fisherman was busy checking his pots causing disturbance to the few birds that were present; just 9 Red-breasted Merganser, 3 Shag and a Cormorant, but as I was leaving the car park a flock of 10 Chough headed low overhead to the SW, presumably off to roost. It seems appropriate that the last bird species I recorded in 2011 was this iconic Celtic crow.

Good Birding & Best Wishes to all followers in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment