Monday 18 February 2013

Short-eared Owls

I was working outside this afternoon, contemplating piles of timber and tools, when out of the corner of my eye I noticed something breaking the horizon by the Wireless Station up on Clip y Gylfinhir, Mynydd Rhiw. It simply 'did not look right', triggering a race across the yard for my binoculars - a sprint known to all ornithologists!

A first glimpse as the bird rounded the hill then my suspicions were confirmed as the Short-eared Owl reappeared, quartering over the young gorse and heather in it's search for food.. A little while later a party of walkers flushed a second bird in the same area. It's always a delight to see these fine birds, which I've encountered regularly on the heathland around the village during the winter months.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment